Friday, March 11, 2016

AudioPi: Recording on the Pi3 with Cirrus-Logic

Now that the Raspberry Pi 3 is available, I thought I would see how it handles audio.  ALSA is mature, jackd works well in many resource-light environments, and it may even be possible to run Ardour.

I have been running audio on small computers for 35 years now, since 16 bit days, and would like to have a compact system to record and playback digital sound.  The Raspberry Pi form factor seems reasonable but audio input is not provided on the base board.

The best solution I came up with after surveying the available audio HAT choices is the Cirrus Logic Audio Card (pdf).  This allows audio I/O over the SPI Bus which has the potential for lower latency than a USB sound interface.

What I am going to document in this blog are my successes and failures in achieving high quality sound recording using the Raspberry Pi.  I expect to learn much as the development unfolds.



No comments:

Post a Comment