Friday, August 10, 2018

Android in Wonderland

Modern software development is a complex task, and having an IDE that guides the developer can make this a bit more directed.  I imported the ardmix github java code into Android Studio 3.2 and converted it to kotlin, just to make life interesting.  The syntax is similar to java, but cleaner, and has a more modern feel.  Android Studio considers this a first class language and I was able to compile and run the app after a bit of tweaking.  I will not miss Java, and suspect Google feels the same.

The source is posted on gitlab ardosc, under the GPL3+ license.  It uses an OSC Library called NetUtil to handle the UDP communication to Ardour.  The java sources for de.sciss.net NetUtil were developed by Hanns Holger Rutz and licensed under LGPL 2.1 or later.  The original sources can be found at https://github.com/Sciss/NetUtil/.

I plan to release this as a free Google Play store app with no strings once I am finished testing, and will be using the app with the RPi3 in the field as part of the tests.  There is more conversion to do from Java idioms to Kotlin, as I begin to be comfortable with the syntax and best practices.  The mechanical conversion compiled and ran but lint finds lots of fluff and I know it can be much cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment